Saturday, January 23, 2010

Some Music Notes (Pun Definitely Intended)

In what I thought was going to start off being a slow year music, a few things have come to my attention over the few day:

I got an email from the Gorillaz a few days ago announcing a new album. Totally kick ass news from a band I never thought would never put out another album. They posted their new single, Stylo, on their website:

http://www.gorillaz.com/

It kind of sounds like Safety Dance, but I'm still not really liking it yet. That's OK. Their last album, Demon Days, is one of my favorite albums from recent years. I'll probably get the new album based on that alone. Plastic Beach is due out March 9th in the States.


Prince is continuing the trend of not doing anything cool since he played the Superbowl three years ago. Right after the Vikings' victory over the Cowboys last week he went home to record this abortion:



In case Prince has had the above link deleted (it's likely), the song is Purple and Gold, Prince's tribute to the Minnesota Vikings.

This is the most embarrassing Rock n' Roll sports theme since Ministry released this a couple years back:



At least they knew to sing about a real sports team. Fuck the Vikings.

OK. I have one more, then we're off to something relevant:




Murder By Death is also releasing a new album. Good Morning, Magpie will be released on April 6th. I don't know much else apart from that it will not be a concept album.


JG Thirwell's Manorexia will release their third album, The Mesopelagic Waters, through Tzadik in March.


Chunklet has posted an early Karp demo tape on their website:

http://www.chunklet.com/index.cfm?section=blogs&ID=594

I originally wasn't going to post about another post, but then it was brought to my attention that some douchebag (hopefully, I didn't just call someone from Karp a douchebag) was listing it on ebay for $500, so I wanted to make this download more widely known.

Also, look around the site. In addition to many other cool things, they just posted the (possibly) final show of the reunited Jesus Lizard: NYE, Chicago. The NY show that I went to was easily the best thing I saw last year.


Finally, I'm going to give a shout out to a new band called Stars Don't Sleep. Their singer, Adam Hagar used to live about five minutes away from me in my tiny redneck town in NJ, although had not found me until he moved to the opposite side of the country.

They just released their first EP which you can download for free off of their website. When I get around to it, I will do a full review on Comfort Comes, (which I have recently been neglecting to get this off the ground, but should get back to it because I have things piling up that I should get to while they are somewhat new) although you should really just listen to it yourself. It's right here:

http://www.starsdontsleep.com/songs/

No comments:

Post a Comment