Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Black Kiss 2

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it on here, but I love Howard Chaykin. He's possibly my favorite artist, and I buy nearly anything he draws.I think American Flagg! is way better and more innovative than Dark Knight Returns (and predates it by three years).

For those unfamiliar with Black Kiss, it was a black and white erotic hard-boiled neo-noir. Published in 1988, Vortex Comics gave Chaykin complete control to push boundaries with really graphic and some pretty weird sex scenes, and to  his surprise, nothing was censored.

I actually only got around to picking it up earlier this year. It's surprisingly dense for a story that's essentially centered around blowjobs. Like much of Chaykin's writing, it takes re-reads to get everything. You can read a synopsis upon completion and realize that you missed half of what went on. Anyway this is very cool and enjoyable even beyond the X-rated content (which is also pretty awesome). The only problem is that Chaykin's stories can be difficult to follow since a lot of his characters look similar, and black and white doesn't make that any easier.

So last week Black Kiss 2 #1 was released by Image Comics. Even though Chaykin's said he's not trying to top the original, this has some pretty wild stuff in it. Trust me. You don't want to read this on the subway. I'm not even sure exactly how it ties into the original, but it's pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment