Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Whole Nother New World

Marvel (who's used to being on top) has been having a little trouble keeping up with DC this past year since their line-wide relaunch. They do have a plan though. So first let me recap.

While DC lowered the page count to drop prices a dollar, Marvel followed. Only they just dropped the page count and left prices. They know that comic fans will complain about anything but will never stop buying.

Next thing, they cancelled any books that weren't Avengers, X-Men, or Spider-Man related. And all minis. Some got cancelled before they were finished, and some solicited books were cancelled before an issue came out. Then they started double-shipping most of their top selling books. 

Next is the big one. They needed a blockbuster. So they really brought out the think-tank for this one. I'm sure the meeting went something like this: 

What sells big? Crossovers. What do comic fans love? Superheroes fighting each other. Who are biggest superheroes? Avengers and X-Men. What do we call it? Avengers Vs X-Men. Brilliant. We'll double-ship it and it'll end in a line-wide relaunch.

And they promise that it's a relaunch and not a reboot whatever that means. And it's a slow relaunch. They say over twenty titles in four months. Marvel pretty much always relaunches titles, sometimes there's not even a change in creative team. So really what's the big deal with that?

While DC expanded their universe and tried to bring diversity (They gave some fringe books a chance. Some caught on. Some didn't.), Marvel's essentially playing musical chairs with their top books and top talent.

And that's not entirely a bad thing. People were pretty skeptical about DC's relaunch, but I think after its debut most people would agree that they're putting out a lot of quality stuff. A year ago I was buying no DC books, now I buy seven monthly titles. Right now I buy no Marvel books. Maybe they'll put something out worth buying. A lot of them seem interesting. They have only announced about half of the new titles so far, but as of now these are the ones I'm looking forward to:

Thor
Jason Aaron on Thor. If you don't realize how badass Jason Aaron is, perhaps you should look at this beard:



Hulk
I've loved the Hulk since I was a wee lad and he scared me on the TV lookee box. Although it's been nine years since I've read more than three consecutive issues, I always check it out whenever there's a writer change. Besides I bought Hulk #1 last year, I bought Hulk #1 in 2008, and I bought Hulk #1 in 1999.

Deadpool
Brian Posehn writing any comic and I'm there. Deadpool should be particularly awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment