Friday, August 10, 2012

A Valiant Effort

I really enjoyed Valiant Comics during their first go-round about 20 years ago. It was a new tightly-knit sci-fi based superhero universe that focused on good stories in a period when comics centered around flashy art, claws, and guns. I was a lot younger, but I remember that first wave of Valiant titles to be really high-quality. Like anything else, the line got spread thin when expanded, and the company eventually got bought out by Acclaim who really only wanted the characters to make video games.

Especially after the article I wrote yesterday, it's hard to imagine any publisher outselling the big two, yet Valiant and Image both had top-selling books. Anyway, they've tried to reboot a few times over the years. This summer they've put out four books, and seem to be off to a good start.

X-O Manowar
I'm enjoying this book quite a bit. I vaguely remember the Valiant characters and kind of their deals, but it's been a very long time. My friend tells me that the opening arc is just an expanded retelling of the original zero issue (a gimmick that Valiant started for those who don't remember) which I have read, but again, a long time ago. But whatever. It's barbarians fighting bug aliens. What's not to like?





Harbinger
This is easily my favorite. And it's a really great way to start a team book. It focuses on one character at his very lowest point until he eventually meets the rest of the team. It sets a tone as opposed so that you essentially get to know the character and develop pathos.






Bloodshot
Bloodshot wasn't one of the original characters, and like some of the other Valiant additions, seemed more centered around guns as was the zeitgeist. He's pretty much an invincible soldier. This kind of stuff generally doesn't appeal to me.







Archer and Armstrong
This was OK. I remember the original series being more of an odd couple humor-based thing. Without giving away the plot, I guess my biggest problem was the very overt social commentary. As much as I enjoy satire, it seems out of place in an action-oriented book. But it's only one issue. Maybe as it goes on, it will flesh out the buddy dynamic.

No comments:

Post a Comment