Thursday, February 25, 2010

Book of the Week

You may have noticed that I haven't picked a Book of the Week in a little while. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to pick up my books weekly anymore. However, I'm going to try to keep track of when books come out and keep the column going. I should get my books in a few days and have two Book of the Week pics in the coming week. That's pretty much how I'm hoping this thing progresses.

Anyway, I figure that since I haven't read any comic books in a couple weeks, I'll recommend a novel with no graphics. I read John Dies at the End a couple years back and liked it so much that I'm still telling people to read it.

It's gone through a few incarnations. Originally published online at http://johndiesattheend.com/, it later found a softcover printing through Permuted Press. It recently got a hardcover printing through a larger publisher with bigger distribution. Don't quote me, but I think that all three versions differ slightly.

I'm not really going to divulge much of the plot, but the book is both really funny and really disgusting and terrifying at the same time without any awkwardness. I think Don Coscarelli (who owns the movie rights) described it as Stephen King meets Douglas Adams. So, go check this out and I'll get back to the regular Book of the Week soon.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I got a copy for Christmas and devoured it right away. It definitely had a Douglas Adams vibe that really made me smile. I think the author is an editor of Cracked.

    ReplyDelete