Tuesday, February 5, 2013

John Dies at the End

One of my first posts when I started this blog was about this novel. The film is finally finished, and I got to see it last week. It's really good. A pretty flawless translation. It's been five years since I read the book so I don't remember a lot of the book's plot clearly, but there is a lot of imagery and a lot of scenes that stuck with me. The film looks the way I saw the book in my head.

I also got to meet Don Coscarelli after the movie. I got a little dorky and told him how much I love Bubba Ho-Tep which is one of my all-time favorite movies. But really, anyone who knows me knows that I love to go on about movies that I like to anyone who will listen. So it felt cool to do that with someone who actually wants to hear it.

Anyway, if you've read the book, you know there's a lot of stuff in it. Apparently, there's a lot of scenes and monologues  that were shot but didn't make the 100 minute movie. These  scenes will be on the DVD coming out in a couple months. It also seems that Bubba Nosferatu is unlikely at least for the time being, although Coscarelli would still love to make the film.

John Dies at the End is on a very limited theatrical run now and also On Demand (I think. At least it was for a while). Definitely check it out. The book's sequel has recently been printed as This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously Dude, Don't Touch It. I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, so I can't vouch for it but I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably good.

No comments:

Post a Comment