Monday, January 21, 2013

A Whole Nother New World

This was kind of cool, but ultimately disappointing. The art was good. It was pulpy. There were babes and dinosaurs. It was actually a lot more violent than you would expect from a Wolverine title from the past few decades. It's nice to see Wolverine take off his training bra and be a killer again.

The plot was a little thin, but that could build. I think its biggest detraction is that Wolverine is in his silly costume. It really just didn't fit the tone of the story and pulled me out a lot. I guess we're just long past a time where we can have a superhero running around being badass in a leather jacket. Or even naked with wires sticking out of him. Remember the Barry Windsor Smith Weapon X?

This is the best Marvel Now book. Crazy sci-fi action. Since John Romita Jr can keep a monthly schedule, I can't imagine the quality dropping.


















Although I've been enjoying Hulk quite a bit, I found this a little disappointing. It's pretty cool that Waid has been doing self-contained issues, all the while slowly building subplots, but this issue retreaded a lot that the first two issues already established. That being said, it was still a lot of fun and I am looking forward to see where these subplots are leading to.

I'm also very excited that Walt Simonson is coming aboard in April (and will be drawing Thor again).

Also noteworthy, I mentioned a couple months back that even though the Hulk is my all-time favorite character from my childhood, it's been now over nine years since I've liked the series enough to bu more than three consecutive issues. I will surpass that next month. I think I had a seven year run at that point, so that will be much tougher to break.

No comments:

Post a Comment