Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Whole Nother New World

Between the new job, Wii U, and general holiday stuff, I've gotten a little behind with things. Luckily there hasn't been too much to get behind on. I'll catch up with three Marvel reviews right here:

I've never read a comic by Dennis Hopeless before, and one week about a month ago I got two. The first one I read was Cable and X-Force. This was a total suckfest. Thin story. Bad dialog. Just awful. Which brings me to the next comic...
...which I absolutely loved. I had pretty low expectations after Cable. This is obviously something that came about because The Hunger Games is so popular. As the cover suggests, it's a pretty close ripoff Battle Royale. There's nothing new about this comic, but it's really well done and compelling. Good characters and dialog. Honestly there are only two characters out of the sixteen that I even recognize, and I got a little teary-eyed at the end. This is the reason why I try to pick up as many number ones as I can. Because sometimes there's a book I have no interest in that becomes one of my favorites.

They seem pretty committed to the Battle Royale format. These are fairly obscure lower tier characters, so I can see that actually happening. I'm interested to see how far this can be taken as an ongoing series.

Denis Hopeless and Battle Pug's Mike Norton are releasing their new comic The Answer! through dark horse later this month. I'll have to check that out.
I just mentioned a comic brought about by the popularity of Hunger Games. Here's one that was put out because of the popularity of Twilight. From the cover, you might think this is a badass monster comic. But it's actually mopey teenager stuff. Skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment