Monday, November 12, 2012

A Whole Nother New World

So now we're really in the thick of the Marvel Now relaunch, and this is the comic that really made me give these new Marvel books a second thought. I'm a pretty big fan of Brian Posehn's standup, and was actually a huge fan of Joe Kelley's run on the original Deadpool series. That being said, the only Deadpool issue I have read in the 13 years since he's left the series was the first issue of Daniel Way's run.

This is a pretty good start. Not hysterical, but I did laugh a few times. Like I mentioned, I haven't read any Deadpool in a while, but the premise and humor seems a little different: SHIELD is using Deadpool as an agent for the messy jobs that would garner bad publicity (which does exist) for the Avengers.

Although the script is good, what really sells it for me is Tony Moore's art. His facial expressions really bring it home. The most memorable part is a detailed two-page splash consisting of partying zombie presidents. My biggest concern with this title is that Moore cannot keep a monthly schedule let alone the twice monthly schedule that Marvel's pushing. I hope the book can sustain quality for the issues he's not drawing. On the optimistic side, Walking Dead has continued to be great throughout the 97 since he left.



Next is Iron Man which I enjoyed. The plot was solid. The characterization was spot on. The art looked great. The only thing this book was lacking is a uniqueness. It's a perfect book in the post Iron Man film Marvel universe, but really didn't seem all that different from what I've read of Fraction's or Ellis's runs. The only thing that really seems all that new is the armor's color. There is room for plenty of interesting directions to play out in the arc, but after a single issue, it seems to be a bit generic.

No comments:

Post a Comment