Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Whole New World

Batman
This is another pretty enjoyable issue that probably won't make the cut for me next month. I think I figured out why I don't love comics like this and Action (although this is a bit better than Action) as much as everyone else seems to. While Snyder nailed the essence of what Batman is in this story, as someone who's read many a Batman stories, this doesn't bring really anything new to the table that captures my attention (except maybe the Capullo's brilliant art and some pretty new character designs). I even kind of groaned at the cliffhanger. There's no way that anyone thinks that the evidence is really what it seems. I'd really like to see some new stories, which brings me to...


Wonder Woman
which is probably my favorite comic that I've read this month. I haven't read enough Wonder Woman to come right out and say that these are totally new stories, but they are totally different than the little I have read. Azzarello and Chiang are amazing, and until everyone on the internet started mentioning it this past week, I totally forgot  they did that great Dr 13 backup a few years ago. The one thing I want to mention is that I really wouldn't describe this as a horror comic as many people are. Although there are several horrifically grotesque things in there, it's way to fast paced to be called horror. A lot happens and a lot of characters and concepts are introduced. And it really doesn't get too wordy or convoluted. Great start. I'm completely on board with this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment