Friday, September 2, 2011

A Whole New World

It's been three months since the announcement, and DC's new universe has officially begun. A couple months back, I listed the seven comics I would try out, so I figured I'd follow that up this month with reviews for those (and any others I decide to buy).

First off, I'm not sure exactly, but from reading the last few pages of Flashpoint 5 at the comicbook store, it seems that the Flash merged several alternate timelines together to start a new timeline where some previous continuity happened and some didn't. Easy enough, right? Here's my first review (spoilers):


Justice League
 I have to admit the only reason I bought this was because it's the first new title out, and I was curious to see what DC was doing. Although both Geoff Johns and Jim Lee have produced work that I like, I'm not too big a fan of either.

Before I give you my verdict, I'd like to make a point that I'm in my thirties. To roughly explain my tastes: I loved Tree of Life and thought Captain America was expensive-looking garbage. That is to say, I like what DC's doing although I didn't really enjoy the comic itself. I think that 20 years ago I would have loved this. This is a great comic to generate newer, younger readers. Not that mature readers won't enjoy it, but that's just not where I am right now.

Anyway, this issue centers around Batman and focuses primarily on his first encounter with Green Lantern. Some chasing and fighting but not really any plot except for some Darkseid foreshadowing. A few pages are dedicated to Victor Stone (not yet Cyborg). I think this is a good choice. New readers have seen a cartoon or movie and are likely familiar with the big heroes origins. It's good that they're established that far, and not too much is retreaded. However I don't even know anything about Cyborg. Redoing his origin isn't too gratuitous.

One theme that's been going on for a while now is that all heroes are chumps, and only Batman has any discipline. The new universe takes this even further by making the characters younger and more arrogant. Green Lantern makes several blunders throughout the issue, and Superman is introduced on the last page beating up Green Lantern and picking a fight with Batman.

The other three team members don't appear in this issue. So I guess my biggest complaint is that there's very little substance. I realize that some stories need time to build but with serialized storytelling, I feel the first issue should give readers a solid story and a good grip on what the series is about. This is mostly a prelude to a fight. There is absolutely nothing that gives me a curiosity to pick up the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment