Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Five

The Dream Child

I can't exactly explain why, but this movie is just awful.  Unlike the second film, this one follows the paradigm of the previous installments.  It just fails on so many levels.  It's almost OK.  Really.  The badness is kind of subtle.  Why doesn't it work:

There's a little kid in it.  Role Models is the exception.  Apart from that, little kids tend to make movies suck.  Also, why is the unborn Jacob like a five year old kid in dream world?  He's an unborn foetus.  Everyone else retains their appearance in dreams.  If Jacob can make himself older, why not an adult instead of an annoying little kid?  Personally, I think that I would like to see a movie with Freddy palling around with a foetus (Someone call Platinum Dunes.  I've got a treatment for Nightmare on Elm Street 2).

The kids are adults.  They're college graduates.  They're too old too even be a part of some sort of sorority house massacre.  I'm not sure why, but it only works when teenagers are getting murdered (probably why Platinum Dunes rejected my Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2: Baby Meat script).

Low Body Count.  Like three.  Which is unacceptable for a slasher movie in 1989.  I guess it tries to build suspense, which I normally prefer, but this just comes across as boring.

I'm not sure how I feel about Freddy's demise in this film, but it is pretty wild.  Freddy gives Jacob power, so Jacob vomits on Freddy causing this movie's souls pop out of his chest, thus turning Freddy into a foetus so that Amanda can put him back in her womb before his claw pops out of her stomach.  It's not really established in the film anywhere, but I it makes Jacob powerful, so I guess it makes sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment