Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Last Call

So the first month of the rest of DC's life is done. I'm sure the comic fans are about as tired reading reviews as I am writing them. So this is it on DC for the time being. Anyhow, from what I read, quality exceeded my expectations. Apart from that, it showed that you can still gather some interest in a print industry. Whether this is a turnaround point or the last spasms of the industry's corpse remain to be seen.

Blackhawks
The main reason I picked this book up was because the titular characters share a name with my favorite hockey team. Aside from that, I wanted to check out some non-capes-and-tights stuff by creators I'm unfamiliar with. This is kind of GI Joeish and although it's not a great start, and I'll likely pick up issue two. These are a lot of completely new characters that Costa introduced which is always tough to do in 20 pages. I'm interested enough to see what he's doing and will stick around a little more.



Superman
This had a good story and stellar artwork, but I had a little problem with the script being too wordy. Not that I don't like reading, but I feel that Perez hasn't adapted to modern comicbook storytelling. A lot of the text is unnecessary and can be told through the art. I won't pick up the next few issues, but will be back for issue seven when Giffen takes over writing duties. So I guess that's something.





Anyway, those are the twelve comics I bought this month. Here's the final tally as to what I liked:

I'm in for good:
Resurrection Man
Wonder Woman

I'm in for issue two:
OMAC
Swamp Thing
Blackhawks

Maybe (but probably not):
Action
Deathstroke
Frankenstein
Batman
Penguin

I'm Out:
Justice League
Red Lanterns
Superman

No comments:

Post a Comment